Each year, CADA offers free tax preparation assistance to households making less than $46,000.00 annually. Federal and North Carolina returns are prepared and filed electronically. Clients can also learn about claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit which can result in much larger refunds. We also arrange for direct deposit of your refunds. Please contact at 252-539-4155 or your county’s CADA Community Services Center for more information (Bertie , Halifax , Hertford or Northampton).
The program begins in January of each year and those interested in having their taxes prepared should bring these items to their appointment with their tax assistance counselor:
- Social Security Card for you and your spouse (if married, filing jointly)
- Forms or records to verify your earned income (W-2s, 1099s or final paystub)
- Any letters you received from the IRS during the year
- A copy of last year's tax return
- For a qualifying child/dependent, social security information and a birth certificate must be produced for that person.
*Please note we only prepare simple returns for local households and not business returns or those with complicated tax issues.